In collaboration with Vuelle Residence, join me as we visit the land of my ancestors in this unique vacation that combines cultural and culinary experiences. Your home base will be the beautiful seaside town of Capo D’Orlando. This small town is located on the north coast of Sicily and its vantage point between Messina and Palermo makes it an ideal location for visiting some of the best that Sicily has to offer.
- 10 night stay at beautiful seafront Vuelle Residence
- 5 hands-on cooking classes, 4 with me and 1 in San Marco D’Alunzio with local chefs where you will learn to cook traditional Sicilian recipes with local ingredients
- Guided excursions to Naso; Palermo/Monreale; San Marco D’Alunzio; Mt Etna/Taormina; Tindari; Cefalu/Santo Stefano
- Full itinerary here.
Cooking classes with Nadia Fazio
Cooking class 1:
- Antipasto di gamberi con agrumi (Citrus shrimp appetizer)
- Involtini di pesce spada (Sword fish rolls)
- Insalata di mela, rucola e radicchio (Apple, arugula and radicchio salad)
- Bigné di zucca (Squash fritters)
Cooking class 2:
- Insalata d’arance e finocchio (Orange and fennel salad)
- Pignolata (dessert)
Cooking class 3:
- Eggplant Caponata
- Involtini di maccheroni e melenzane (Pasta and eggplant rolls)
- Biscotti di mandorla (Almond cookies)
Cooking class 4:
- Antipasto di ricotta e crispeddi (Ricotta antipasto and fritters)
- Pasta con ricotta e pesto siciliano (Pasta with ricotta and sicilian pesto)
- Cannoli with ricotta
Guided tour of this scenic hilltop town followed by lunch wherewe will sample the local specialty, handmade “maccaruna”.
A vacation in Sicily would not be complete without a visit to Palermo, a city rich in history, culture and gastronomy. This day trip will include a visit to the Palatina Chapel; Norman’s Palace; the Cathedral; Bellini and Pretoria squares; 4 Canti as well as the local markets. Do not miss the opportunity to taste the local renowned street foods such as panelle; “pani ca meusa”; or arancini. Following a lunch break, we will visit the Cathedral in Monreale.
San Marco D’Alunzio
Located high above the coastline of Capo D’Orlando, we will spend an entire day visiting this ancient medieval town. Following a tour of the town, we will partake in a cooking class where we will learn to bake bread using an ancient grain, as well as other Sicilian specialties. In the evening, we will participate in a traditional medieval banquet.
Mt. Etna and Taormina
Mt. Etna is Europe’s highest and oldest active volcano. Visit the Silvestri Craters, 2 quiet craters located at 2000 meters above sea level next to the Rifugio Silvestri.
Spectacularly perched on the side of a mountain high above the sea, the ancient city of Taormina is undoubtedly Sicily’s most popular tourist destination. Enjoy breathtaking views around every corner, and explore the winding streets filled with shops, bars and restaurants. Not to be missed is the Teatro Greco, dating from the 3rd century B.C. From the Teatro Greco you can view Mt Etna, which is usually smoking) and the Bay of Naxos down below.
Visit the Sanctuary of the Black Madonna in the ancient greek town of Tindari and stop at a local ricotta producer to acquire ricotta for our cooking class.
The charming town of Cefalu, located on Sicily’s north coast, is dominated by its magnificent Norman cathedral located right below the Rocca, a towering rocky granite mass.
Stop in Santo Stefano in order to shop for their renowned hand painted ceramics.
- Located in the centre of Capo D’Orlando, Vuelle Residence is an elegant 4 star accommodation situated directly across from the crystal clear Tyrrhenian Sea and offers a splendid view of the Aeolian Islands on the horizon. It features 12 apartments complete with modern furnishings, air conditioning, each with a private terrace with views of the sea and mountains. Vuelle Residence is within walking distance of restaurants, shops and services and best of all the beach is situated directly in front. Beach chairs and umbrellas are available.
What’s included :
- Group transfer from and to airport (Catania or Palermo airport to be determined)
- 10 nights accommodation at Vuelle Residence from October 6-October 17, 2017. Vuelle Residence features 4 single apartments with seaview; 2 single apartments with mountain views; and 4 double occupancy apartments on upper levels with sea and mountain views or lower level with sea and city views
- 4 hands on cooking classes in a local fully equipped restaurant kitchen with Nadia Fazio (wine included)
- 1 hands on cooking class in San Marco D’Alunzio with local chefs
- Breakfasts daily on Vuelle Residence’s rooftop seafront terrace (weather permitting)
- Lunches and dinners as indicated in the itinerary, wine where specified.
- Excursions to Naso; Palermo/Monreale; San Marco D’Alunzio; Taormina/Mt.Etna; Tindari; and Cefalù/Santo Stefano
What’s not included
- Some lunches and dinners (as specified in itinerary)
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages unless indicated in the itinerary.
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- 200$ Cdn registration fee, plus:
- Cost of culinary vacation:
- 1800 euros for single occupancy, or:
- 1550 euros for double occupancy, or:
- triple occupancy available upon request, contact me for details
How to register:
- Complete the registration form located at the end of this post.
- Limit date for registration is June 30, 2017. Places are limited.
- Please note, the trip will only occur with a minimum of 10 inscriptions. A 200$ Cdn registration fee payable to Nadia Fazio by eTransfer or cheque (refundable only if the trip is cancelled by the organizers) will be required with each inscription.
- Travellers will be able to reserve their flights when they have been notified that 10 travellers have registered.
- After a minimum of 10 inscriptions has been reached, a deposit of 80% of the cost of the culinary vacation in euros must be submitted to Vuelle Residence.
- The remaining balance of the culinary vacation to be paid to Vuelle Residence in euros 2 weeks prior to the travel date.
- 75% of the deposit will be refunded if cancellation notice is given 30 days before the start of the stay. The 200$ registration fee is not refundable.
- 40% of the deposit will be refunded if cancellation notice is given within 15 and 29 days prior to the start of the stay. The 200$ registration fee is not refundable.
- No cancellation possible 14 days prior to the start of the trip, however the payments submitted until this point may be transferable to a new traveller.
Please complete the following form for registration. You will receive an email indicating how to proceed for the initial deposit.
Terms and Conditions
- The itinerary outlined is subject to change due to any unforeseen circumstances that are beyond our control ie: weather conditions; availability of ingredients etc. We reserve the right to modify the itinerary if/when necessary.
- It is the responsibility of each traveller to obtain a valid passport prior to departure.
- It is recommended that all travellers purchase travel insurance to protect against unexpected situations that may arise such as trip cancellation, trip interruption, emergency medical situations, baggage loss.
- We will not be held liable for any injuries, loss, damage or theft that may arise during the trip.
- If you have a specific food allergy or intolerance, please advise us at registration. However, please be advised that the menus selected reflect local specialties, therefore we can not guarantee any modifications or substitutions to accommodate allergies or dislikes.
- No refund will be provided for any unused portion of the trip, for example if you opt out or are unable to participate in a specific outing or meal.
- A non-refundable registration fee of 200$ Cdn (only refundable if the trip is cancelled by the organizers) is required and payable to Nadia Fazio by eTransfer or cheque.
→ By submitting this form I have agreed with and accept the terms and conditions outlined above