Fennel and Leek Risotto
This recipe for Fennel and Leek Risotto was created as a result of the ingredients we had on hand and has now become our favorite risotto!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 32 minutes
Servings 4 -6 servings
- 7 cups chicken or turkey stock, simmering
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme optional
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 leek, green parts removed and sliced as shown above
- 1 fennel, chopped as shown above, reserving fronds for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
Bring the chicken or turkey stock to a simmer, stir in dried thyme if using.
In a large dutch oven, melt butter on medium high heat. Add leeks and sauté, stirring, for 3 minutes.
Add fennel and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Salt lightly.
Add the white wine and cook for 2 minutes longer until most of it has evaporated.
Add the arborio rice and stir to ensure each grain of rice is coated with butter and cook until the rice is translucent, about 2 minutes.
Gradually begin adding the broth, 1 ladle full at a time. Cook, stirring, until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice before adding more broth. Continue adding broth and cook, stirring, until the rice is slightly al dente, or until desired doneness. This will take approximately 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
When the rice is ready, remove from heat and stir in the shredded Fontina and Parmigiano cheeses. Serve hot with fennel fronds as a garnish and extra Parmigiano cheese at the table.
- Arborio, a short grain Italian rice, is typically used for making risotto. Carnaroli or Vialone Nano are also good choices.
- Never add cold stock to your risotto! Be sure to keep the stock simmering as you add it to the risotto.
- You'll know it's time to add more stock to your risotto when you drag a wooden spoon across the bottom of the pot and it leaves a gap that doesn't immediately fill in with the rice mixture.
- Risotto is ready when the rice is al dente or has a slight bite left in it.
- Please note that the nutritional information provided is approximate and may vary according to exact portion size.
Calories: 652kcal | Carbohydrates: 91g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 1958mg | Potassium: 740mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 977IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 329mg | Iron: 6mg