Mortadella, Ricotta, and Pistachio Mousse Deviled Eggs
Elevate your basic devilled eggs to a whole new level with Mortadella, Ricotta and Pistachio Mousse Deviled Eggs. This delicious combination transforms deviled egg to an elegant dish for the perfect appetizer or snack!
Servings 4 - 8 servings
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp table salt
- 2 slices mortadella about 35 grams
- 1/4 cup whole milk ricotta
- 2 tbsp pistachios plus a few extra for garnishing (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra if needed
- pinch of salt
- pepper to taste
Prepare hard boiled eggs as indicated in my post.While the eggs are boiling, toast shelled pistachios in a 325F preheated oven for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Peel the cooled, hard boiled eggs by tapping on a paper towel on all sides to crack the shell. Gently roll the egg on the paper towel to loosen the shell. Peel off the shell. If tiny pieces remain stuck to the egg, rinse the egg under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
Cut the eggs in half and gently scoop out the yolks with your fingers or a small spoon.
Place the yolks in the bowl of your food processer. Add roughly chopped mortadella, ricotta chopped pistachios, salt and pepper to the egg yolks. Drizzle with olive oil and process the until creamy. The mixture will not necessarily be completely smooth due to the pistachios. If it is too dry, add an extra tsp of olive oil.
Use a spatula to transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized star tip a plastic freezer bag. If using a plastic bag, snip off the tip with a scissor and you're now ready to pipe the filling into the egg whites. Alternately, use a spoon to fill the egg whites.
Garnish with chopped pistachios (optional) and serve.
- To make this recipe in advance, boil the eggs and prepare the filling up to 2 days before serving. Place in the refrigerator and pipe the filling into the egg whites just before serving.
- Hard boiled eggs also keep well in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Not crazy about mortadella? Try this recipe with cooked ham instead!
- If you don't have a food processor you can definitely mash the eggs with a fork and finely chop the mortadella and pistachios with a sharp knife. This will result in a chunkier mixture but definitely won't affect the delicious flavor!
- Please note that the nutritional information provided is approximate and may vary according to exact portion size and ingredients used.
Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 199mg | Sodium: 774mg | Potassium: 138mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 354IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg