Spring Vegetable Stew with Fava Beans and Peas
Spring Vegetable Stew with Fava Beans and Peas, a simple peasant food dish that's a celebration of spring all in one pan! This easy to prepare Sicilian dish is traditionally made with just a few seasonal vegetables and is enjoyed either as a side or a hearty main dish with fresh crusty bread.
Servings 8 - 10 servings
- 750 grams frozen fava beans
- 750 grams frozen peas
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 large potato peeled and cubed
- fennel fronds from 1 fennel bulb
- 3 slices bacon halved or quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. olive oil plus extra for drizzling at the end of cooking
- 1 tsp salt or more according to taste
- black pepper to taste
Add all ingredients in a tall sauce pan. Cover with 2 cups of water, olive oil and salt and pepper.
Cover and bring to a vigorous boil. Lower to medium high heat and cook covered for 10 minutes without stirring.
Uncover and toss the vegetables or stir gently. If the pan is dry, add a bit more water. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.
When the vegetables are tender, adjust the seasoning as needed. Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and serve.
- This recipe can be halved.
- For extra flavor, add 2 bunches of green onions instead of 1.
- Try replacing the bacon with pancetta.
- If you have access to wild fennel, use it in place of the fennel fronds.
- Serve as a side dish or main dish with fresh crusty bread.
- This dish is delicious enjoyed hot or at room temperature.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Please note that the nutritional information provided is approximate and may vary according to exact portion size and ingredients used.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 488mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 761IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 3mg