Roasted Red Bell Peppers
Homemade roasted red bell peppers are so easy to make any time of year and can be stored in your freezer. Enjoy them marinated as part of your antipasto platter, in sandwiches, on pizza, in frittatas and so much more!
Servings 4 servings
For the marinade
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- salt to taste
Place your oven rack in the highest possible position and preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.
Begin by washing and drying the bell peppers and place on the prepared baking sheet.
Place the peppers in the oven and broil until the skin is charred, rotating the peppers every five minutes or so until all sides are charred. This will take from 25-30 minutes. Don't worry, the peppers will not taste burnt!
Remove from the oven and transfer the peppers to a heat proof bowl. Cover the bowl with wrap and let the peppers sweat for 20-25 minutes, until cool enough to handle. This will allow you to easily remove the charred skin.
After the peppers have rested, peel off the charred skin. This step can get a little messy! Next, remove the stem, seeds and membrane from the interior of the peppers. Slice into strips. You now have 2 choices as to how to proceed.
- This recipe may be doubled, tripled or more if you want to take advantage of the abundance of peppers at your local farmer's market.
- Although I'm partial to the flavor of red peppers due to their sweetness, this recipe works with green, yellow or orange peppers or a combination of all.
- Do not skip the step of allowing the peppers to sweat after roasting. Peeling them will be much more difficult not to mention that they are way too hot to handle!
- Other than oregano, fresh chopped parsley or basil may also be added to your marinated peppers.
- Frozen roasted peppers are easily and quickly defrosted by running the bag under running cold water. Marinate as indicated in the recipe and enjoy.
- Leftover marinated red peppers keep well refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Add enough extra olive oil to ensure the peppers are submerged.
Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5152IU | Vitamin C: 210mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg