Chewy Amaretti (Italian Almond Cookies)
Chewy Amaretti or Italian Almond cookies are a must-have on every Italian cookie tray. These cookies are crisp on the outside but chewy on the inside.
Servings 24 cookies
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Amaretto extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- powdered sugar for dredging
- almonds or maraschino cherries for topping if desired
Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, beat the egg and sugar. Stir in the Amaretto and almond extracts. Add the almond flour and stir until combined. Stir in the flour and baking powder until a firm dough is formed.
Shape heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into a ball. Lightly dredge in the powdered sugar, shaking off excess sugar. Place on baking sheet and top with an almond or maraschino cherry, if desired. Continue with remaining dough.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden and the tops of the cookies are crackled. Cool on a rack.
- If you don't have access to amaretto extract, you may substitute with Amaretto liqueur. Use from 1-2 tablespoons as the amaretto extract is more concentrated. You may also have to add a bit more almond flour in order to achieve a firmer dough.
- The key to getting a cookie with a crisp exterior and chewy interior is the right dough texture. I tried numerous times and got flat and crispy cookies. Apparently my dough was too soft. With these cookies a harder dough results in a cookie that retains its shape and remains chewy inside.
- Please note that the nutritional information provided is approximate and may vary according to exact ingredients used.
Calories: 71kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 8mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg