Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Onions and Raisins
The unexpected sweetness as you bite into a raisin in this dish perfectly compliments the chicken, onions and potatoes. Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Onions and Raisins is the perfect family dinner or weekend entertaining recipe!
Servings 4 -6 servings
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 2 lbs potatoes (5-6 potatoes) peeled and cut into wedges
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp. olive oil divided
- 6 pieces chicken legs with thighs skin-on and bone-in
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 cup white wine
Place sliced onions and potatoes in a roasting pan and toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir in the raisins.
Preheat oven to 375F. Combine paprika, salt and pepper and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the chicken pieces.
Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken 3-4 minutes on each side. Place in the prepared roasting pan over the vegetables. Add the bay leaves. Pour the white wine around the edges of the pan, not over the chicken.
Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, flipping the chicken halfway, or until a thermometer registers 180F. For extra colour, broil for 2 minutes, flip the chicken and broil the other side for 2-3 minutes. Serve hot with the pan juices.
- Don't skip the browning of the chicken in a skillet step before roasting! You want to get that crisp, golden skin for extra flavor before baking.
- I prefer using chicken legs with the thighs attached since I'm partial to dark meat but you can use chicken breasts if you prefer, just stick to bone-in and skin-on pieces.
- Don't forget to pour those delicious juices that accumulate at the bottom of the pan over the chicken when serving. That's where all the flavor is, as well as those tasty raisins!
- Leftovers are equally delicious reheated the following day!
- Please note that the nutritional information provided is approximate and may vary according to exact portion size.
Calories: 755kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 231mg | Sodium: 2028mg | Potassium: 1899mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 369IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 8mg