Italian Breakfast Cookies
These simple cookies are typically the Italian breakfast of choice served with a bowl or mug of hot milk and coffee, they are perfect for dunking!
Servings 32 cookies
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- sprinkles, optional
Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 2 baking sheets covered in parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar and oil. Mix well.
Add the vanilla and stir. Add the flour and baking powder and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour is fully incorporated.
The dough will be firm but sticky.
Prepare a small bowl with a spoonful or two of vegetable oil. Lightly grease the surface of a wood cutting board.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon full of dough onto the board. You may lightly grease the tips of your fingers to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
Using the palms of your hands, roll the dough into a rope of about 1 cm thickness. Connect both ends and twist twice. Place on the baking sheet.
Top with sprinkles, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned underneath.
Cool completely on a wire rack before storing.
- The vanilla may be replaced with lemon zest for a different flavor.
- Be sure not to add too much oil to your wood board or fingers when shaping the cookies. Otherwise the dough will slip instead of roll!
- Italian Breakfast Cookies can be stored at room temperature in a tightly sealed container.
- Alternately, freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before serving.
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 68mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 40IU | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.6mg