A fresh new twist on traditional basil pesto, pistachio pesto is quite typical in Sicily. Make a batch in only 5 minutes with your food processor and enjoy in endless ways!
- 1 cup pistachios shelled
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves about 10 leaves
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Place the pistachios; basil; garlic; parmigiano cheese and salt in the bowl of your food processsor.
Blend on on low speed while slowly adding the olive oil from the top feeder. Blend until all the ingredients are well combined but not entirely puréed. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a bit more olive oil.
How to serve pistachio pesto:
- serve tossed with pasta
- top homemade pizza with dollops of pistachio pesto
- spread on crostini and top with parmigiano cheese curls
- add a spoonful to soups and stews to brighten up the flavors
- top grilled vegetables with a spoonful of pesto
To store Pistachio Pesto:
- If you choose to double the recipe, or more, freeze in individual cubes. Fill an ice cube tray with pesto. Place in the freezer until frozen solid, then transfer cubes to a freezer bag. Seal well and freeze for up to a year.
- Keep pesto in a jar in your refrigerator for up to a week. It's best to add a thin layer of olive oil on top of the pesto.
Calories: 1866kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 178g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 768mg | Potassium: 1323mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 943IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 684mg | Iron: 6mg