Sicilian Easter Cookies with Eggs
Sicilian Easter Cookies with Eggs are distributed to family and friends, a tradition that my mother has maintained throughout the years!
Servings 12 cookies
For baking in the center of the cookies
- 12 large eggs at room temperature (if you choose to place an egg in each cookie)
For the cookies
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil plus extra for rolling the dough
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp ammonium carbonate or 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp colored candy sprinkles
For the eggs to be baked in the center of each cookie:
For the cookies:
Preheat oven to 350F and cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs and sugar until frothy, about 2 minutes. Stir in oil and milk. Add grated lemon zest from 1 lemon and vanilla.
Sift flour and ammonium carbonate over the bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the flour is incorporated. Use your hands to shape into a ball. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
Prepare a small bowl with a spoonful or two of vegetable oil to have on hand when rolling the dough. Break off a golf ball sized piece of dough. Dip your finger tips in the oil and roll the dough into a rope of about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick and 14 inches (35 cm) long. Fold in half and twist. Join both ends to form a circle and nestle the egg in the center of the dough. Place on the prepared baking sheets.
Cover with colored candy sprinkles and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom and golden on top. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Take the eggs out of the fridge a couple of hours prior to making the cookies in order to bring them to room temperature. While you are preparing the cookies, place only the eggs that will bake with the cookies in a bowl and cover with hot tap water. This will prevent the eggs from cracking while baking.
- You may substitute the same amount of baking powder for the ammonium carbonate.
- This recipe makes 12 large cookies. You may also choose to bake a few without the egg in the center.
- Cookies with the eggs should be refrigerated for up to a week.
- The cookies, without an egg in the center, can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature.
- Please note that the nutritional information provided is approximate and may vary according to exact portion size.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 218mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 130mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 331IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 3mg