Spiralized Zucchini Ricotta “Meatballs”
These meatless "meatballs" have become a favourite family antipasto or snack! A perfect vegetarian alternative to meatballs that are soft and cheesy on the inside and crispy on the outside. You'll never miss the meat!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 16 meatballs
- 1 lb zucchini about 2 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups day old bread, crusts removed and torn into small pieces
- ½ cup ricotta
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small clove of garlic finely minced
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ¼ cup dried bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil, for greasing parchment paper
Wash zucchini and trim off both ends. Using a spiralizer, spiralize the zucchini. Give the zucchini strands a rough chop.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat and sweat the zucchini for about 4 minutes, stirring often, until most of the water has evaporated.
Do not brown the zucchini. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a bowl and let sit until the zucchini is cool enough to handle.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a lightly oiled sheet of parchment paper.
Add the remaining ingredients (breadcrumbs through black pepper) to the bowl with the zucchini. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
Use your hands to shape the mixture into 16 golf ball sized meatballs. Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 30 minutes, turning the meatballs half way, until they are browned. Serve hot.
- The mixture is very soft, this is normal. The result will be meatballs that are crisp on the exterior but quite soft and moist on the inside.
- Spiralized Zucchini Ricotta "Meatballs" can be prepare a day ahead and reheated in the oven before serving.
- Please note that the nutritional information may not be 100% accurate and can vary according to the exact size of your meatballs.
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 244mg | Potassium: 124mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 1mg