Pistachio Amaretti are a delicious twist on the classic Amaretti that we all know and love. They are crisp on the exterior and soft and chewy on the inside. These cookies are a breeze to make and would make a great addition to your holiday dessert table.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 16 minutes
Total Time 26 minutes
Servings 24 cookies
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Amaretto or vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup ground pistachios, see note
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios, for coating
Preheat oven to 325 F and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, beat the egg and sugar. Stir in the Amaretto or vanilla extract.
Add the almond flour, ground pistachios and baking powder and stir until combined and a firm dough is formed.
Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into a ball. Lightly dredge in the icing sugar, shaking off excess.
Press down lightly on the chopped pistachios and place pistachio side up on the prepared baking sheets. Continue with the remaining dough.
Bake for 16 minutes until golden and the tops of the cookies are crackled and the underside are lightly browned.
Transfer to rack to cool. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- If ground pistachios are not available where you live, purchase shelled pistachios which you will then grind in your food processor to turn into pistachio flour.
- I tested this recipe using both amaretto and vanilla extracts and quite frankly both turned out delicious. Since I couldn't decide which I prefer, I'm presenting both options in the recipe.
- Baking time may vary according to your oven. In my oven these take precisely 16 minutes to bake. You are looking for a light brown color underneath. Begin checking the cookies after fifteen minutes to make sure they don't burn.
- Amaretti must be kept in a tightly sealed container in order to maintain their chewy texture otherwise they'll be hard as rocks! Store for 3-4 days at room temperature.
- Alternately they can be frozen.
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 53mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 0.4mg